950 s/n / 95 AP / $140 retail
Artist’s Proof $195
Image size: 21″ x 15″
William Stewart – architect
Built in 1891, the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club’s elegant clubhouse was situated on the beach, next to the canal. It was a splendid example of the Late Victorian Era style of architecture.
In that same year, Queen Victoria granted the Hamilton Yacht Club permission to add the word ‘Royal’ in front of the club’s name.
In 1915, after almost a quarter century of entertaining Hamilton’s affluent, this beautiful building met its fate. Even the close proximity to so much water could not save this totally wooden structure from burning to the ground.